Monday, February 2, 2015

Introducing: The Private Life of an American Mom




Mom is the central character’s name. It is almost a paradox that she is the central character because her life is about putting everyone else in her family first. Her name is Mom because she has lost herself in being Mom. Her name is Mom because she is not one woman she is every mother in America, every Mom who has struggled with motherhood. She is every Mom who has ever felt overwhelmingly frustrated with her children. She is every woman who has ever felt that America propagates the myths that being a mom is blissful joy and that being a mom is the highest calling for a woman. I love being a mom. I love my children. But I’m calling society out on the lies about motherhood because I love myself first. What if we as Moms used our power as the bedrock of society to change society’s predominant myths about women and motherhood? It won’t cure our culture of sexism, but telling the story “The Private Life of an American Mom” is a start.

2 comments:

  1. I love the concept of this. It is miraculous to me that the struggles of motherhood are not discussed more often. I think it's almost taboo to admit how hard it is. I will certainly be following you in your endeavors to get this turned into a film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara! I didn't intend to take it this far, but the other Moms who read it were so supportive - they felt it was their story too and liked this avenue for talking about some of these issues that we all face.

      Delete